Global Investor Commission on Mining 2030
The mining sector is critical to society and the low-carbon transition. However, mining can also be a force for conflict impacting people, communities, and the environment. The Commission is a critical intervention in a vital sector and will serve beneficiaries’ interests and the wider society. For any inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Responsible mining can be a positive contributor to development in many countries. However, mining when it goes wrong can also be a force for conflict impacting people, communities and the environment. A key question is if the significant growth in demand for transition minerals will leave a positive legacy in the countries from where it is extracted.
[Context of Commission]
- The mining sector is critical to society and the low carbon transition
- Mismatch between demand and investment required to match the required expansion
- Concentration risk
- Outsized impacts on communities and the environment
- Mining can drive conflict
[Why investors should support the Comisssion]
- Mining is systemically important to our portfolios
- Social license of mining extends to those that own/finance mining companies
- Investors are uniquely placed to convene and have the levers to drive impact
Investors are encouraged to take part in the Commission in 2 ways:
1. Commission Investor Supporter
Your fund would be listed as a Supporter of the Global Investor Commission. A named representative of your fund would be provided with the opportunity to be consulted at key points on emerging thinking.
2. Global Investor Steering Committee Member
The Steering Committee is overseeing the work of the Commission and will be the recipient of the Commission outcomes. The Steering Committee comprises of both Asset Owners and Investment Managers. Members of the Steering Committee will have the option to be Commission Members.
If you have any questions and would like to become a Supporter of the Commission, please do not hesitate to contact the Commission Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Conflict and/or violence
- Human rights
- Net Zero / Paris aligned
- 7 - Affordable & clean energy
- 13 - Climate action